The Mulanje Massif, also known as Mount Mulanje, is a chunk of rock rising sharply from the tea-growing plains in southeastern Malawi. Jeff and I went on a 3 day backpacking trip there in April.
Mulanje measures about 13x16 miles and is a series of impressive peaks that break through the clouds and green valleys with pools and waterfalls. It's one of the most beautiful places we've been.
Sapitwa is Mulanje's highest peak and the highest peak in South-central Africa at 9,900 feet. It's a steep, treacherous climb especially since by the time we got to the top, the clouds had rolled in and the wind was whipping hard. I'm sure the view is usually nice.
Kian and Darian stayed with a babysitter in a lodge at the base of the mountain while we hiked, but as we initially drove into the town of Mulanje and the cloud covered peaks came into view, I told Kian that Jeff and I were going to hike to the top of the mountain. Kian then asked, "Are you going to touch the clouds?" and I said, "Sure," to which he asked, "What will God say?" It's a reasonable question.
Friday, May 08, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
You guys amaze me with all of your outdoor adventures! Good for you for taking advantage of where you live. Maybe one day we'll get brave and take Morgan and Pepper on a camping and/or hiking trip...maybe:)
Nice post. What a life!
Sweet Kian.
Post a Comment