Wednesday, April 08, 2009
A day in the life of Shima
Giving a lecture on constitutional rights to students at the University of Malawi.
At a prison with paralegals interviewing people who have been in prison for over a year without a court hearing.
These are observers at a trial I did in Magistrate court (lower court) representing 13 people accused of burglary, theft and malicious damage (11 were acquitted).
Sitting at my desk at DFID (British Department for International Development), which is what I do 90% of the time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
You guys have such an amazing life! What a year.
Btw, were the 11 who were aquitted innocent? :) I put a smiley face to indicate that I am not trying to be snarky; I am sincerely interested. But since, in the emotional void of the internet, the smiley might look a bit snarkey, I thought I better clarify in actual words.
So the story with this trial was that there were these two kids who got in a fight over a 50 cent dvd. One teenager killed the other over it. The community went crazy and attacked the other teen's house. Then the whole neighborhood started looting and damaging the house of the teenager who was still alive. Then the next morning some of my clients were at the scene checking things out, and others had items from the looted house in their possession. Anyway, long story short, 2 of the people who possessed items (a bed and a burnt umbrella) were found guilty. The others who were just at the scene the next day or had a good story for why they possessed the item got off.
What a sad, sad story. Life really is not fair.
Unbelievable story.
I agree with Alexandra--what an exciting life!
Post a Comment