Monday, December 14, 2009

Nothing says Christmas like Santa Plaza

 
When we first moved to Lilongwe, I heard about a store called Santa Plaza. They supposedly had great imported hummus and toys but since it was on the other side of town, I'd never ventured over there and didn't really understand what it was all about. Well, recently I've started to understand. Santa Plaza (or as the kids call it "Santa Clausa" is the closest thing to Wal-mart that Malawi has. Its a store that has cheap Chinese toys, shoes and clothes, candy, kitchenware, and food. Its a one-stop-shop and its open until 10 p.m. which is unheard of around here. And best of all, though it is owned by a Lebanese family it is decked out for Christmas: santas, sleighs, christmas lights, you name it, its there.
 

 
The kids love the rides out front that you can ride for as long as you want without paying (what could be better than that?). It's funny because after riding these toys for 20-30 minutes all of the kids get this unhealthy dazed look.
 
We go to Santa Plaza at least twice a week when the power is out for entertainment and to feel the Christmas spirit.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

sunny said...

Oh man. I really want to go here. And Harper would love those rides so much. I always tell her she can't ride on them because I am too cheap to pay the 50 cents. I am happy you can feel the Christmas spirit at Santa Plaza.

Carolina said...

Kendall says I am a Christmas grinch. I probably just need an hour at Santa Plaza.

familia Bybaran said...

That's awesome! It's better than buying Christmas presents at pic and save.

Heather said...

Glad to see Christmas consumerism has made it to Malawi!