So all of the complaining I did because Jeff was working too hard during residency I take back
Kian was playing on the top of the couch and fell on the tile floor, busting his chin open. It was slit so wide and Jeff decided he needed stiches. Luckily he brought his suture kit and lidocane and all of the other stuff he needed to stich it. Of course if we were in the US we would have taken him straight to the ER but the clinics here would not be as safe as Jeff doing it at home. So Jeff pulled his medical magic and stiched him up. That was the easy part.
The hard part required all of the above. To try to convice Kian that it was going to be ok to put the above needle into his chin we first tried all of the bribery we could muster. Soda, gum, even a fruit rollup (which is hard to come by here). That stuff always does the charm at our pediatrician's office but somehow it was different since Jeff was doing it and Kian was hysterical. So we had to take drastic measures and resort to fear tactics. We told him that if he didn't let his dad give him this nice small needle that wouldn't even really hurt he had to go to the mean doctors that had lots more needles that would really hurt. Somehow his 3 year old mind was really scared of these mysterious mean doctors and pulled it together enough to allow Jeff to poke him at least 6 times with the needle to inject the lidocane and then give him 4 stiches on his chin. I don't know if I could have done it.
Kian enjoying his well earned spoils.
Monday, December 01, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
Poor Kian! Lucky you have a doctor in the family. Kendall has great stories about his dad laying kids on the dining room table and stitching them up. "I'm a doctor!" he would say to reassure the kids. But he wasn't an MD; he was a PhD in animal biology (or something like that). He often operated and stitched up sheep, so I guess he figured it should be pretty much the same thing.
Yes, poor Kian! But this is a great story, with perfect pictures to go along. He looks so thrilled with his treats at the end. Hope you guys are doing well! We miss you around here.
That last pic with Kian holding that bottle of soda and grinning ear to ear is classic!
Poor sweet Kian. There does not exist a better picture than the last one with all his treats. Hopefully he's feeling like his old self again. Looking forward to seeing him, and all of you, in real life.
Poor, brave Kian! How wonderful to have a doctor in the family and such a smart little boy who understands logic when it's explained so well..."mysterious mean doctors"! Too funny! Love, love, love the last picture. He most definitely deserved all those treats!
Sweet little sweet tooth! What a happy photo with his soda and treats! You have 2 boys, so double the trouble, they are just so much more energetic than girls who are for the most part happy looking at books and imagining they are Ariel or Jasmine. (I say for the most part because Soraya can be a nut like Ishie and follows him flying off the sofa often). Kian and Darian are gorgeous and I wish Ish could play with them, they would have a blast. It's great to keep up with you, miss you!
Poor little guy! I love that last photo. He is so darling. My recipe for calming an injured child is similar to yours: candy plus tv. Scare tactics are great, too, as a last resort. It is how I got Andrew to brush his teeth. He is still afraid the dentist is going to "rip his teeth out." :(
You win some serious points for preparedness. I just made a list of extra things I need to put into my emergency backpack...1.a doctor 2. some candy and soda 3. some numbing medicine.
in the last picture, kian looks like the dentist elf in that old rudolf the red-nosed reindeer video. what a dear.
sweet! jeff has total skillz :) nice job. :P we're thinking about you and hoping things are well! enjoy ny during the holidays. xoxo
Oh - that little picture at the end made me smile! You can even see his teary eyes still. Thank goodness for Jeff the Dr.
Post a Comment