Sunday, October 05, 2008

The Face of Scabies
 
That's right scabies. Kian got scabies while we were in Zomba. He could have gotten it from Jeff (since most of the kids Jeff sees at the clinic have it) or at school from one of the kids. It presented itself at the worst possible time. We were driving four hours to Zomba and I was alone with the two kids while Jeff was driving someone else's car. It started with a little itching of the ankles, then the wrists and then the neck and under the ears. Then it got pretty frantic. Luckily Jeff diagnosed him pretty quick then we all bathed in sodium benzoiate for a few days and boiled our clothes and the little buggers died. I have no idea why Kian's face blew up like this from the scabies but it was pretty funny.
 
Darian didn't really seem to mind the scabies.
 

 

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Carolina said...

I associate the word scabies with 19th century street urchins and sailors. Poor kids--but a great story to tell later in life. In Venezuela, our malady was the common (although much more stubborn version of) head lice. Given your description of the scabies, I think I'm glad we just had head lice.

I vote you get a dog. Your kids would love it. The burglars would not.

alexandra said...

You guys look like you are having such a memorable experience over there! The boys are so unbelievably cute.

Why don't you guys get the electrified fence, as well?

familia Bybaran said...

I can't believe that face! It made me at first worried and then I was just concerned. I am glad it went away. They are so darn adorable. I love the pictures against the brick wall.

I also love that you are the primary president! Such irony. Maybe soon they will call you to be the ward chorister too.

Great pictures. We miss you guys. I spent half the day today trying to book tickets to Johannasburg in November because there was a great deal, but it didn't work out. I probably shouldn't tell you that. but that's just how much I want to come out there and visit. I guess it will have to wait until the spring.

The McKay's said...

poor little kian. good thing his dad is a doctor. :)

what a neat experience you and your kids are having. hopefully they will remember it as they get older! :)

Anonymous said...

o no! so glad jeff is such an astute clinician! :) keep posting because i love hearing about your life in africa. we see your sister every sunday! :)

Rebecca Smylie said...

Darian is getting so big! And Kian without the hair...just as cute. Funny how scary things are about ten times so in the anticipation (getting robbed). Primary President? Let's swap notes. I could send you stuff from this past Sunday on what to do when nine-year olds chew you out and tell you they never learn anything new at church. (How to explain to them that it's a long life of that in this Church...)

Justin and Silvia said...

Shima! It was good to hear from you. OMG! Your kids are sooooo cute. Wow! You have a beautiful family and it looks like you guys are starting a fun adventure in Africa. I saw some pics of PR "Playa Novio" huh? My favorite beach on Vieques was Azul Azul Did you make it to Culebra too? I love PR. I lived in Rincon for a awhile. I just got in contact with Kamla 2 months ago also. I was trying to set my buddy up with her. I wanted them to get Married lol, but that didn't work out so much. I saw your pic on the cover of some BYU law mag a few years back. I read the article on you. Very cool! Well, next time I'm in Zomba I'll look you up.

Justin

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

So I just updated myself on what you guys have been up to. The boys are so big and handsome! Sorry to hear about the scabies and robbery attempt but it sounds like you two are handling everything great! Those boys are lucky to have you two. Good luck with the primary calling, always a tricky one even in the easiest of wards. Let us know if you need supplies or anything and I can try and enlist my mom who is always looking for a cause to help. We miss you guys! (Since you left I still have no idea who my visiting teacher is!)